It is trade show season in Melbourne this week and lots of buyers are out and about trying to make the most of their time away from their stores.
Here are some tips for any retailers or buyers heading to the trade shows over the next few days.
1. Be well rested, grab a good ass coffee on the way, be sure to have a notebook and pen and seriously comfy shoes.
2. Make sure you a bunch of business cards with you. This will save you time and make sure suppliers have the correct details for orders or follow ups.
3. Visit with an action plan, but make sure you don’t miss anything. Don’t take shortcuts, walk every aisle…you just never know what you’ll find. Hopefully that next big thing.
4. Talk to suppliers. Ask them about their story. The more you learn, the more you’ll sell. Customers love a story, and be sure to share the story with your staff.
5. What is it that your store is missing?? Do you need a new category?? It’s tough out there yes, but if you keep a step ahead your business will seriously benefit.
6. Don’t rush. You don’t want the one to miss out on locking in a new supplier.
7. Think about the upcoming season. Do you need counter fillers for Christmas?? Hats for summer. Outdoor tableware. Gifting. A few things for ‘him’.
8. If you’re undecided, take as much info away with you as possible. And make notes while you’re there to trigger your memory later.
9. Be sure to order sooner rather than later. Don’t let a competitor lock in that brand in your area and the sooner you order the more informed you are about your choices.
10. Come back. If you need to see something again, visit again. This is a critical time of year, so don’t miss out.
Remember to have fun!!! Socialise and network with fellow stores or brands. It is an exciting time checking out all the new collections and the possibilities of what new things you can bring to your loyal customers.